Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk at about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.
- Robert Fulghum
Just thinking about laying down for a nap with a belly full of cookies and milk brings me back to a much simpler time. Chocolate chip cookies have stood the test of time and have always been one of my favorites. There's just something about opening the oven and getting kissed by an aroma than warm, freshly baked, crispy on the edges and chewy in the center, gooey cookies.
As we become adults, we take the simple chocolate chip cookie along on our journey and changing up the recipe to fit where we are in life. Some get fancy and add browned butter, sage and flaked sea salt. Others satisfy their sweet tooth by adding different variations of chocolates and sweets, and others want a guilt-free version by subbing eggs for flax, butter for oil, and brown sugar or an alternative.
All cookies are welcome here, and so are you.
I've tried many different recipes and this one is a mix of the old and the new. There is a secret ingredient that I hope you appreciate and love. Ready?
Jakera's Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 30 mins | Servings: 24
1 cup unsalted butter, softened*
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs**
3 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips (chips or chunks)***
2 tbsp chocolate chip cookie butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, white and brown sugar until combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add the chocolate chip cookie butter and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients little by little until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips or chunks (or both!) and fold in.
- Use a 1 inch cookie dough scoop, or hand roll whatever sized you'd like and place evenly on your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
- Let cookies sit on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Assemble cookies on a plate, pour a glass of milk of your choosing, cuddle up, and enjoy!
* For vegan, use dairy-free alternative or 1 cup refined coconut oil
** For vegan, use 3 tbsp flax meal in 6 tbsp water, let it set for five minutes before combining
*** For vegan, use dairy-free chocolate chips, my favorite is Enjoy Life